- Mar 15, 2019
Africa has captivated the attention and interest of people from all over the world. It is the second largest continent and is prosperous in its history, language, culture, food, art, craft, fashion, jewelry, and geographic diversity. This beautiful continent is home to diverse groups of people. Africa – The Land of Tribes, has a population which is a distinct mix of people who share a common history and various similarities, yet are unique in their own ways.
Africans are the indigenous people of this exuberant continent and have distinct skin tones and hair textures. These features are adapted for sustaining in the African environment and climate. A large number of Africans still lead their life by adhering to their traditions and deeply follow the established religious and cultural practices. But, they have left no stone unturned to evolve with the rest of the world and walk shoulder to shoulder with them. What is more interesting to see is how the modern and the traditional cultures have blended so well in harmony in the African motherland.
African fashion is special and unique in its own way. Each ethnic group in Africa has its own special style of presenting themselves. The clothes and jewelry adorned by them reveal much about the characteristics of their tribe. It wouldn’t be wrong to say that the vibrant fashion styles that exist today in Africa are a gift from the natives who still dwell here. To understand the true colors of the vogue in this continent, it is imperative to peep into the clothing sported by the tribes.
- Maasai: Both men and women wear red sheets (shuka) wrapped around the body and lots of beaded jewelry on the neck and arms. They also wear metal hoops on their stretched earlobes. They often walk barefoot or wear simple sandals made of cowhide.
- Himba: Himba women wear beautiful and intricate jewelry made of iron and shell beads.
- Zulu: Zulu traditional clothing is very colorful. The men wear a waist apron called amabheshu, made of goat or cattle skin, worn at the back. They decorate their heads with feathers and fur. The women wear a traditional black skirt called isidwaba, made of goat or cattle skin, and a black t-shirt. All of them wear beaded jewelry.
- Amhara: The traditional costume worn by both men and women is a pair of jodhpur trousers and a long shirt, covered by a soft, sheet-sized cotton wrap called a Gabi.
- Tutsi: Earlier, both men and women wore robes. The woman’s costume included a white robe and a white headband. Nowadays, women wear dresses and scarves made from printed cloth popular in East Africa, while men wear trousers and shirts.
- Hausa: They follow a restricted dress code – men wear elaborate dresses with striking embroidery around the neck and colorful caps called fula. The women wear an abaya wrapper that has a colorful cloth, matching blouse, shawl, and a headband.
- Chaga: Traditionally, Chaga clothing was made of cowhide. However, over time, people started wearing bead ornaments and colorful cloth wraparounds called kangas.
Africa, the continent which imbibes in itself the attributes of freedom, hope, culture, adventure, music, fashion, serenity, liberation, upliftment and much more is a place worth to be. African clothes celebrate the traditions and culture of the continent. They reflect the tribal roots of the people. The colors and motifs used have special meanings and depict stories of everyday life struggles and joy.
Africans like to wear bright, vibrant colors and prints. Gold is a very popular color as it represents wealth. Blue, green, white and red are other colors that are used frequently. Many of the people, especially the younger ones, prefer wearing western clothes. But in rural areas, and on special occasions, people still wear traditional costumes.
As the spring season is around the corner, it is time to update your wardrobe with the top African fashion dresses that will make you look trendy and a true fashionista. Let’s have a look at some of the dresses and designs that would be trending this season.
- Enhance your look with the kimono: One of the prettiest and most comfortable dress to put on this season would be a kimono dress. They are available in different lengths and in various fabrics. Be a trendsetter by combining them with jeans, shorts or even a simple dress. Wearing a kimono, over any dress, instantly transforms your look.
- Vibrant and bright shades: Bright colors will splash out your inner confidence this season. Don’t hesitate to sport the yellows, oranges, pinks, and greens this season. Explore and experiment more with your favorite color this spring. But, choose the color wisely and pair it up correctly to get the iconic look.
- Bold and beautiful prints: The evergreen prints will give you the necessary style and flamboyance. African prints can be worn with skirts, pants, jeans or shorts. Prints can be either paired with a plain color or with any other print. Prints never go out of style and keep re-emerging in the fashion column.
- Experiment with the sleeves: Give yourself a chic, girly, sophisticated and elegant look with the bell-shaped, balloon and loud ruffle sleeves. Be an attention grabber and set a style statement this season. Designer sleeves add a unique style to even the simplest of outfits.
- Bright with white: Beat the heat this season and look fresh and glamorous when you walk down the streets dressed in all white. Even the simplest of a white dress, whether long or short, will surely give you a winning look and make you look bright and beautiful.
- Playful floral prints: The biggest style statement that is evergreen and timeless is the floral print. Earn that girly and feminine look by adding some floral prints in your wardrobe. Floral prints are available in different shades and patterns. These prints give you an option to be creative and exuberant.
African fashion has always been experimental and unique. It has been a trendsetter and has ruled the world of fashion.